Before, the Lille Chamber of Commerce and industry was situated in the Vieille Bourse. But too cramped to gather all the commercial and industrial activities of Lille, it was moved. Now, the chamber of commerce has its own building that looks majestic thanks to its belfry.
From 1910, the works started on the theatre square, in the heart of Lille. The goal was to edify a new Chamber of Commerce and Industry ofLille. The architect Louis-Marie Cordonnier was the site foreman of this project that ended in 1921. From this date, the building still shelters the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Lille but also shelters the Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the region Nord Pas de Calais.
The architecture of the building and the belfry is neo-Flemish: we can find the image of the prestigious Hotels of Ville de Fandres. The richness of the décor with vegetable patterns and volutes, imitates the architectural style that was appreciated during Louis XIV time. Inside, a majestic entrance hall greets the visitors with its huge cupola: it is decorated with frescos and its galleries line with columns.
The belfry is 76metres–high. It dominates the opera with its height. It is decorated with four clock faces. It is to note that the belfry has 25 bells that regularly ring northern typical songs like Le P’tit Quinquin.